As the name implies, drain flies (also called moth flies or sink flies) are a nuisance pest that develop in standing water in drains, sinks, or plumbing pipes/fixtures – especially those that have been unattended or idle for periods of time.
They are attracted to moist areas and feed on decaying organic matter and slime – which is also where they breed. Areas such as drains, sewers, septic tanks, sewage pipes and fixtures.
Identifying Drain Flies
Most likely, you won’t visibly see the larvae, and the adult drain fly is quite small with the following features:
- 1/16” – 1/4” long
- Their body and wings are covered with long hairs that make it look fuzzy like a moth
- Their color can range from tan to dark, typically with lighter colored wings
- They have a prominent, long, curved antennae
- A unique characteristic is they fold their wings over their body like a roof when at rest
- Another distinguishing characteristic of the drain fly is they are very poor fliers. When disturbed, they will make short hopping jumps rather than fly away
What Are Signs of a Drain Fly Infestation?
The larvae are very difficult to detect, as they live in the slime and organic decaying matter. You may, or may not, see them wiggling thru that drain or sewage sludge.
You will see adult drain flies resting on walls or pipes in the bathroom, kitchen, or basement.
How to Get Rid of Drain Flies
The drain fly larvae have to be found and eradicated – and drain cleaner will not fix the problem. Professional pest technicians know where to find the larvae, drain fly pest infestation, and how to effectively eradicate and prevent future infestations.
Prevention with Ongoing Pest Control Services
Cascade Pest Control provides custom home or business pest control services based on your individual need or pest infestation.
We’ve seen an increase in drain flies during the COVID-19 pandemic due to some businesses having to close down. This idle time can be a problem for rats, rodents, and other pest infestations if you do not have ongoing pest control services scheduled.
Call 1-888-989-8979 to schedule or Request a Quote, today!